Obligation and Necessity
Ability and Permission
Certainty, Probability, Possibility
Speculation and Deduction
Summary of Modal Functions
Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words, including the word given.
1. I think you should give up smoking immediately.
I think you
2. I expect we will get there by 5PM, if there isn't too much traffic.
5PM, if there isn't too much traffic.
3. Is it necessary for me to bring my passport?
4. I am sure that the cat is in the house somewhere.
in the house somewhere.
5. An aerial is not required with this radio.
an aerial with this radio.
6. It is very inconvenient if you can't drive.
It's very inconvenient if
7. I am sure that John is not the thief.
8. I am certain that Norman will be late.
9. All students should report to the main hall at 9.00.
to the main hall at 9.00.
10. I thought that you would know better!
Create a free website