Obligation and Necessity
Ability and Permission
Certainty, Probability, Possibility
Speculation and Deduction
Summary of Modal Functions
Complete each sentence so that it contains
can, could, must, have to
(including negative forms).
1. I'm sure that Helen feels really lonely. – Helen
2. You're not allowed to park here. – You
3. It would be a good idea if Harry took a holiday. – Harry
4. I'm sure that Brenda isn't over thirty. – Brenda
5. Do I need a different driving licence for a motorbike? –
a different driving licence for a motorbike?
6. What would you advise me to do? – What do you think I
7. Mary knows how to stand on her head. – Mary
on her head.
8. You needn't come with me if you don't want to. – You
with me if you don't want to.
9. It's possible for anyone to break into this house! – Anybody
into this house!
10. The dentist will see you soon. I don't think he'll be long. – The dentist will see you soon. He
Create a free website